Weekend is baking time…
Since you have had the chance to bake a couple of breads, you might like some breakfast rolls as well. Here I have some wonderful breakfast bread sticks for you.
This recipe is good for about 8-9 bread sticks.
Read what you need to do first before going grocery shopping as this includes always about 10 minutes of work and then 30 minutes to 2 hours of break. Overall you need about 2 ½ hours plus the 2 hour soaking time of the seeds.
What you need:
- 30g sesame seeds
- 30g shredded linseeds100ml / 0.4 cups of hot water
- 280g /10 oz wheat flour
- 100g /3.5 oz rye flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 8g / 1tbsp of dry rye sour dough
- 1 package of dry yeast =7g or enough for 500g flour
- 100g / 3.5 oz buttermilk
- 1 tsp. honey
- 200ml / 0.8 cups warm water
- 1-2 tbsp. bread herbs
- You can either buy it or easily mix it yourself, which is what I do: Add in same parts caraway, aniseed, fennel and coriander (I also added some herbes de provence and pepper) et voilá ready.
- Let the linseeds and the sesame seeds soak for about 2 hours until the water has been absorbed.
- Add all ingredients together and mix them for about 10 minutes until you have a dough that doesn’t stick to you hands anymore. Now let the dough sit for 30 minutes under a moist towel.
Form a big roll and divide the dough into 8-9 parts. If you have kids’ hands to help you out then have them help you form balls out of the portions and again let the rolls sit under a towel for about 15 minutes.
- Here comes the trick that makes the breadkfast sticks so good: Roll out every dough ball to a flat oval, approximately the size of a hand – give or take. Now roll those ovals together, either spray them or use a kitchen brush to wet them a little for the seeds to stick to the dough. Roll the bread sticks in one of the seeds or go crazy and put all kinds of seeds on them, like I tried with one.
- Whatever you do, place the Brotstangen on a baking tray with baking paper and let them sit under a towel for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile heat up the oven to 220°C / 430°F with the well known baking tray with water to increase the humidity in the oven.
- At last cut the middle of the bread sticks with two diagonal cuts.
When all is ready, take out the baking tray, be there water left on it or not, and exchange with the one with the bread sticks.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy your breakfast with the yummy breadsticks!